Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog is constantly licking with her tongue like there is

Customer Question

My dog is constantly licking with her tongue like there is something bothering her in her mouth. She just had a cleaning and many extractions -- she is a 12 year old Bichon. I managed to open her moth - not easy - and look inside and there seems to be a lump just behind her front teeth in the roof of her mouth. I am alone with her and it is not possible to open her mouth and take a photo but it looks like a sac sort of growth. Any ideas or suggestions? I likely cannot get to a vet ntil tomorrow. We are 500 miles from our regular vet but I can find a local one tomorrow. She does not appear to be in pain. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Is she still on antibiotics from the procedure?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No

How long ago were the antibiotics finished?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About 10 days ago

Okay. It is possible that this could be a small abscess, or a seroma/fluid pocket. You will not be able to do anything to treat this tonight until a vet sees it tomorrow, but you could give your dog some benadryl to calm her and help her rest despite the constant oral annoyance. The dose is 1mg/lb. If the lump is still there in the morning, I would see a local vet.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The reason I contacted you is that I am out of town. I just called my vet this morning and he said what I was describing sounds like the incisive papilla which all dogs have. He thinks the sutures are dissolving which is why she is licking like this -- as I mentioned there were several extractions.

Good, I am glad that it turned out to be nothing serious, and that the sac-like growth you thought you were seeing was just the normal anatomy. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns! I was happy to be able to assist last night. Please let me know if you have further questions, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you. Take care!