Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dog has a large growth on the back of s lower leg. It is

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has a large growth on the back of his lower leg. It is about 2 inches wide. Doesn't seem to bother him at all. It is rough in some parts, like a foot pad, and smooth in others.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Can you please clarify what it is that you are asking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be concerned about the growth?
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

How long has it been there? Has it grown quickly, or slowly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been there a while. It has not changed much since I noticed it months ago, but it is getting larger.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Any time there is ANY growth on a dog, it is important to have a veterinarian stick a needle in it and look under the microscope to see what kind of cells are in it. This sounds a bit concerning, so I would definitely have it looked at, and because of the location, I would have it looked at as soon as possible because if leg masses get too large, it can be hard to stretch the skin enough to close the wound when it needs to be removed. So I would see your vet to have a needle stuck in it and check out the cells in it, and then based on what that shows, decide whether or not to have it surgically removed and biopsied. No vet will be able to tell you what it is just by looking at it, unfortunately, because several types of cancer can look like just about anything.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jax. How is everything going?
Dr. Ann M.