Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Have a teddy bear hamster. She is 2 1/2 years old. She has a

Customer Question

Have a teddy bear hamster. She is 2 1/2 years old. She has a black spot the size about of a dime on her stomach. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about Baby's dime sized black spot on her stomach.

If this spot is located near her naval (belly button) on her mid abdomen you are likely seeing a more prominent scent gland. It should not be this large or dark however. They are usually much smaller and not so darkly pigmented.

The most likely cause of what you are seeing is an infection of the oil/scent glands. This is something that we can see, especially in older hamsters.
Ideally she would see a veterinarian for an examination to make sure that is what she has and get an oral antibiotic prescription.

In the meantime you can clean the lesion by soaking the area with a warm compress and then gently removing any crusty debris with a mix of warm water and chlorhexiderm shampoo. You can purchase the shampoo from your veterinarian or at a pet store.

You might want to use layers of paper towels for bedding so she doesn't get bedding stuck in the infected areas.

These scent gland can also become cancerous, and may need to be surgically removed depending upon how they look. Give the size antibiotics to shrink the lesion as much as possible is best first.

Sometimes these glands can also harbor an overpopulation of demodex skin mites, so your veterinarian may wish to skin scrape her to look for mites. Treating the mites and the secondary bacterial infection that their presence allows can shrink or resolve the lesion.

Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Michelle,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara