Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 10 yr old female spayed boxer is bleeding significantly

Customer Question

My 10 yr old female spayed boxer is bleeding significantly out of her vagina. It appears there is some swelling and the blood is thick and dark.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was spayed at 3 months and is 10 years old female boxer who has dark plasma type blood coming from her vagina. Her vagina appears to be somewhat swollen.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has and off and on appetite. Has not really been acting so much herself of late however.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your boxer. Bleeding and swelling as you've described arising so many years after spaying is worrisome for neoplasia (cancer) in an elderly Boxer. Her vet will want to scope your boxer's vagina looking for a mass lesion associated with the uterine stump, cervix, or vagina. If such a mass can't be visualized, an abdominal ultrasound would be the next diagnostic of choice in order to visualize what can't be seen by scoping. Please note that an otoscope (instrument used to scope ears) is not an appropriate type of scope to thoroughly examine the vaginal vault; hence, your boxer might need to be referred to a specialist internist (please see here: www.acvim.org) for scoping.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?