brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I' sorry to ask this. But, I have adopted a stray dog. Breed

Customer Question

Hi Doc, I' sorry to ask this. But, I have adopted a stray dog. Breed is unknown, although the best I can compare to is a long-haired dachshund. Age, is approximately 7-9 months. That's based upon the fact that we've had him for about 2 months and when we took him he was still shedding his baby teeth.
He's having some pretty severe left hip pain. I suspect hip dys. He's unusually lethargic, and non-playful. I'm unaware of how quickly hip dys can progress and or present, but I'm very concerned. Any guidance would be very appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today. It sounds like you are describing a pretty small breed dog. Is he a little guy?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ma'am.

For a small guy with severe hip pain, I would be worried about a condition called Legg Perthes or avascular necrosis of the femoral head.

This disease is also a genetic issue (as is hip dysplasia), and dogs can be treated with surgery to stop the pain.

I highly recommend having him evaluated by your local vet. I would start with a physical exam and x-ray of his hips/pelvis. He will likely need sedation for his x-rays since he is so painful. This can give us our diagnosis so we can proceed with an appropriate treatment plan.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not exactly a wealthy man, is there a palliative Tx?

Unfortunately, Legg Perthes is really painful. I would not expect medication to be enough to control his discomfort.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I know this is difficult to explain, but I have some experience in medicine albeit people medicine. I understand that via this format it's tough to make and actual Dx sans imaging. I also understand licensing and credentialing. I find it difficult to believe that provider can't provide a palliative solution at least temporarily.

You're absolutely right, I can't make any diagnosis over the computer. This is just my suspicion based on clinical experience and your description. I would simply start with the x-rays, if we confirm Legg Perthes, you can absolutely start pain medication. I just do not expect it to be enough to control the signs. I could certainly be wrong, I just want to let you know what I would expect. Of course, I don't make a penny if he ends up needing surgery, so I'm not suggesting it for my own gain!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. For the record, I'm not satisfied with this. Not your fault. Thus, I'm not paying for this. But I do thank you for your time as a courtesy.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion! Regardless, I do hope he feels better soon. I'm sure we can agree that's the priority.