Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My terrier/poodle got into a can of coffee covered macadamia

Customer Question

My terrier/poodle got into a can of coffee covered macadamia nuts yesterday. She threw up a little couple hours after that. Then just just rested. This morning, she didn't want to go for a walk (which she never turns down), and even though I took her outside, she would not pee and walked really slowly. She just wants to sleep and no energy.
Should I take her in to get checked?? If so, how much testing do I let them do?
Or does she just need time to rest? Anything I can just give her at home to make her feel better?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was it coffee covered or do you mean chocolate covered ?

How much did she have (grams)?

How much does she weight?

Was it over 24 hours ago?

Is she eating and drinking? Can she keep It down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just coffee flavor covered, not chocolate.
Maybe 20 macademias (can't find can now, so don't know grams)
17pounds
it was around 2pm yesterday (Sat.) so not quite 24hours yet
She ate little bit last night. But nothing this morning.
Gums are pink and moist
No problem pushing on her belly that I can tell
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No drinking this morning either.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just tried some water, and she would only lick water off my fingers and not drink out of bowl. Walking very slowly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for confirming that,

Unfortunately, that is not a great combination for a dog since both carry toxicity risks. As well, if she has had that many then it is over the minimum dose where we start to see adverse signs. So, her vomiting and appetite loss are no surprise since both will cause severe GI upset. As well, we need to tread with care since this nut can cause delayed hindlimb weakness and neurological signs (caffeine can cause neurological signs as well). Usually we see it within 24 hours, so we just want to keep monitoring closely at this stage.

Now in regards ***** ***** to address the GI upset, there are a few tricks we can try. To start, you can try and allay her nausea with an antacid. Common OTC options we can use here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course,if she cannot keep that down, we'd need to think about a visit to her local vet for at least treatment with an injectable anti-vomiting treatment +/- IV fluids to flush the toxins out.

Otherwise, if we can get her a bit more steady in her stomach, we can again try her with fluids and a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is just over the minimum toxic dose for this nut. As well, the caffeine in any coffee flavouring could also be a concern here. Therefore, we'd want to at least start the above now. If she doesnt' settle or we see those other signs in the next few hours, then a check would be ideal. Her vet won't need to do much testing, but we'd want symptomatic care like those I have noted to settle her stomach and flush these toxins out as quickly as possible.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)