Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My is 10 years old and last few days she has been shivering

Customer Question

My ***** ***** is 10 years old and last few days she has been shivering and warm nose. She's still drinking water and gums are pink . No vomiting or diarreah but just laying around
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

i am so sorry that Maggie is not feeling well...

Most likely Maggie has suffered an injury to a disc in her back or has aggravated an already present arthritis. This is very common in older ***** *****s because of their conformation. Since Maggie does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain causing the shivering and lethargy. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Maggie jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Maggie is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. Do not use Naprosin or any other anti inflammatory medication because these can be toxic to dogs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine your sweet Meggie to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****