Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Have a little dog 11yrs old not sitting right licking bottom

Customer Question

Hello have a little dog 11yrs old not sitting right licking bottom and dragging bottom along ground looks very uncomfortable can you help please ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is he defecating ok?

3- Any other symptoms?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. 12hrs
2.yes from what I can observe
3. No
4. No

1- Is he eating and drinking?

2- Can you take a look at his butt for any swelling or what you think could be abnormal?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Eating well drinking well butt swollen and pink

1- Is he licking his butt?

2- Is the swelling on the anal sphincter or the skin next to the sphincter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
licking his butt and it's all swollen and pink
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can I do anything to comfort till the morning I get him to a vet

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, one of the most common cause for the symptoms that you are describing in Rocco is having full anal glands; they may need to be expressed. This is done within minutes by family vet or even a groomer. Less likely other possible causes are: Anal pruritis secondary to allergies, gastrointestinal disorders, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do until he is seen by family vet to check/express his anal glands:

1- Need to stop him from licking. You see the licking itself will cause more inflammation. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone or hydrocortisone cream. You can buy this over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocco. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter