Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Yesterday my dog was extremely lathargic, and non-responsive

Customer Question

Yesterday my dog was extremely lathargic, and non-responsive we took her to an emergency vet who couldn't provide any answers. After giving her IV fluids we took her home. After an hour of being home she became restless and was breathing extremely heavy with thick mucus coming from her mouth. She was trying to get up and move but would rum into things. We tried holding her and calming her down. Her eyes were very dialated. For us to sleep we put her in her kennel, this morning her legs are straight, she is still breathing very heavy, her eyes are still very dialated. What do these symptoms sound like?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the ER do any tests? Check bloods or xray?

Does she seem blind?

Is she totally rigid in her legs? Can she move them voluntarily at all?

Does she appear to be throwing her head back?

Does she seem mentally aware or depressed?

Any access to toxins, drugs, medications, plants or chemicals?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Et ran blood work and found nothing. She isn't moving her legs voluntarily, last night she had thrown her head back when on her left side but not on her right. We don't think she got into anything. She does not appear to be mentally aware, there have been only a couple times she appears to know what's going on.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am very worried about your lass.

If she hasn't voluntary movement and was throwing her head back, this sounds like a brain based issue now causing paralysis. Causes that would fit with this would be poisoning or ingestion of toxic plants or drugs. As well, the signs also raise concerns of Tetanus, thiamine deficiency, or a severe meningitis (bacterial, viral, protozoal). And I have to note bloods would not have diagnosed most of these unfortunately.

Now in regards ***** ***** prognosis it is very guarded. We'd actually want her hospitalized so that she'd be back on IV fluids, tested for drug exposures, and treated for as many of the above as possible. Otherwise, I am concerned that she won't recover without intensive care and further testing to determine which is causing this for her. Because the sooner we know, the sooner we can treat this effectively and try to reverse the damage this is causing for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
She passed away.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I am so sorry to hear that she passed. As we discussed at the time, her signs were very severe and her prognosis for recovery very guarded. I would just note though, if you have other dogs, then you may want to consider an autopsy to definitively determine which of those differentials we discussed was our culprit to make sure there is no risk for any other pets.

Please take care, my thoughts are with you,

Dr. B.