Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My pug is pacing back and forth. She is sluggish in her walk

Customer Question

My pug is pacing back and forth. She is sluggish in her walk and making snoring noises as she breathes. Her head is hanging down. It is mot reverse sneezing.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Any nasal discharge? What color? One sided or from both nostrils?

Any coughing?

Do you just think her respiratory noise is louder as opposed to sounding like a sneeze, cough, etc.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She acted a little strangely yesterday afternoon walking very slowly and seemed to have trouble moving over the threshold of the sliding door to go out. After awhile she seemed fine until early evening. She started panting quit hard and snorting like gasping for air. She settled again and went to sleep until this morning around 5:30 when she started pacing slowing back and forth on the bed and breathing with difficult. I put her on the floor and she walked along the edge of the wall and into the corner of the guest bathroom. I picked her up and took her outside to see if she needed to go to the bathroom. She did not pee but did poop. She hasn't had any water since yesterday evening. Her gums are pale on her bottom teeth. I couldn't see the top. She is sitting and snoring but she is not asleep. Her breathing changes from normal to heavy panting. No discharge, and the only time she has coughed is when she choked herself out with her panting. Her respiratory noise is not the reverse sneezing. We have had experience with that. It is more of a gurgle snore. She can move around on her own but she is very slow and looks very pathetic.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

So, are those gums paler for her?

Is she breathing faster then 30 breaths per minute when at rest?

You noted that she went to a corner, was she pressing her head into the wall?

Does she seem mentally depressed?

Any chance she ate anything that could have irritated her throat?

Does she seem sore anywhere?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just took her to the emergency vet. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

No worries, my dear.

I will send your question about to customer service.

Take care,

Dr. B.