Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Our toy Pomeranian hasn't had appetite today and has had

Customer Question

Our toy Pomeranian hasn't had appetite today and has had gurgling noises in her stomach all morning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. I'm sorry to hear about your girl.

Lack of an appetite is a very non specific symptom... Meaning it can occur with simple stomach upset or something much more serious. With the stomach gurgling it sounds like stomach upset, but without seeing her it is hard to know.

There are a few things that you can look at a do to decide if this is a serious problem... First, is she willing to drink and able to hold it down (i.e. Not vomit it up). If not then I would consider having a veterinarian look at her. Second, are her gums pale or is her abdomen distended or painful? These things can indicative very serious problems and definitely need checking out. Last, is she very lethargic or if you are just worried about her then see if you can get her to a veterinrian for an exam.

If you don't see any of these problems then you could try to treat for stomach upset an monitor her. You can offer diluted chicken broth for today and see if she drinks, but don't worry about food today. Tomorrow you can start some bland food... Such as shredded chicken and rice. If she is eating some tomorrow feed the bland diet for 3 days and then slowly transition back to her regular food. But keep an eye on all the things above and if she is not doing better have her checked out.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Hi Carol,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy