Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My boston terrier was t by a car and is paralyzed from the

Customer Question

My boston terrier was hit by a car and is paralyzed from the waist down. She has been in good health otherwise until yesterday. She has had loose stools, and now it is coming out bloody. I have given her pedialite to keep her hydrated. Please help. We don't have much money at all since we spent almost all we have on her operation to fix her back after the accident. I can't afford to pay a vet bill. We are struggling to just make ends meet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your Boston terrier today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind. How long ago was her surgery? Is she acting fine otherwise besides the diarrhea? How is her appetite?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her surgery was in July. Her appetite has been ok up to this point. I want to keep her hydrated during this episode, but I am not sure how to "force feed" her liquids without her aspirating. Please advise.

Okay thanks for the additional information. I am definitely concerned that she is not eating and drinking currently. Hopefully it is something that can be easily treated. I would try to see if you can feed or give very small amounts of food or liquids frequently. Ideally a syringe would be best where you would only feed no more than 3-5 ml at a time slowly . That should help minimize the risk of aspiration. As far as meds, you should touch base with your veterinarian about getting medication for diarrhea. Usually this medication is relatively inexpensive. The most common medications prescribed for blood in stool includes a medication called Metronidazole and some type of pro-biotic such as Pro-pectalin. Also if she starts too eat again, she may need to be put on a bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice to allow her digestive system to rest.