Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

X-***** ***** shows compression of 6-7 in greyhounds neck.

Customer Question

X-***** ***** shows compression of 6-7 in greyhounds neck. Rimadyl, gabapentin and laser reduced extreme limping but doctor thinks traction would help.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm Jeanne writing about the greyhounds limp
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Traction is an appealing approach in such cases but practically speaking not something we ordinarily perform in dogs. Traction for a thoracolumbar disk might be "hanging traction‟, whereby the owner slowly and gently picks up the dog so that the animal's spine is against the owners chest. The owner hugs the animal and allows its hind end to hang and dangle which may traction the spine. This treatment should cease if the animal struggles or symptoms worsen. Manual traction of the neck might be attempted by a physiotherapist but I'm not aware of any studies that evaluate the effectiveness of such therapy in this population of dogs and so without that evidence this evidence-based vet can't justify such a procedure which is not without significant risk.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.