Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I have a 4 month old I purchased as a stud dog from a

Customer Question

I have a 4 month old ***** ***** I purchased as a stud dog from a breeder. It turns out that only one testicle came down and the other stayed in the canal near the abdomen. I can see and feel the larger of the two under the skin near the bottom of the penis near the scrotum. I have read minimally about a process called milking in which one could massage the recessed testicle down with some luck and if it stays, it is not then genetic or called Cryptorchidism. Could you comment on this please.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

I do believe I can provide you some insight here, yes.

I have to ask here before we get started, are you planning on mating him with a female to breed?

I will add that we don't finalize the diagnosis of cryptorchidism to any pet until they are after 6 months of age.

However, massaging the testicle to try and force it through the inguinal canal still does not change the diagnosis of cryptorchidism. The pets genetics have to do this all on their own.

I hope this answers your question. I would suggest continuing to monitor weekly for any drop in the retained testicle up until Ivan is 6 months of age. At that point, if it is still in the inguinal canal, you can be sure that he is truly cryptorchid and will most likely not drop that testicle.

I also recommend that you don't breed him if this is the case, because his genetics have a high % chance of passing to his offspring.

Does this answer your question in full? Or do you have anything else you would like to ask me? - Dr. H

I see that your status says you are currently offline. If there is any further assistance that I may provide, please let me know. - Dr. H

If I have answered your question in full and satisfactory. I ask that you please provide a positive rating so that I may receive credit for the time it took to answer your question today, I would really appreciate it. : ) If you have any further questions/concerns you can always come back to the chat session and speak with me directly.