Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog keeps dry heaving.bot throwing up. ?? What can I

Customer Question

Hi my dog keeps dry heaving.bot throwing up. ?? What can I do to ease the sensation?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he been showing signs?Do you mean he isn't vomiting but only heaving?Has he had any coughing?Is he drinking? Can he keep any water down?Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, distension, discomfort, or pain?Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
8 hrs ago started . Nothing coming out. Did drink some water. He came to my class with me last night. He did get eat a small 1/2 tsp of coconut oil off the bathroom floor when I was in the bath.
And we just moved into a new home and it is dusty.
I tried to give .
Gave him some pear and lettuce and b4 that I tried a little rice and sheredded chix mix that I make specially for him.
He is sleeping now but will wake up and and swallow many time as if he is getting ready to gag but nothing.
Stomach not tender gums are red .
R
FYI I am on treatment for Lyme disease and coinfections, Morgellons being one. The die off is hard to see but I feel like he my could have scooped some up with the coconut oil I was using as a treatment. His Lyme test came out negative tested twice. but it took 8 years a special lab to finally get a positive blood test back for the strain I have. So my gut is telling me he has a fiber stuck in his throat ?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,Now his history and signs do fit with a possible nausea and/or throat irritation. Now usually if they can drink and keep water down, we'd expect that fiber to keep moving down the throat and into the stomach. Of course, if it was large or thick, there is a risk it could act as a foreign body, so we do need to tread with care.In this situation, to start, if he is sleeping then we'd want to let him continue to do so. Otherwise, if he wakes and shows further signs, we can consider treating him with an antacid to allay that suspect nausea. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or since we have possible throat irritation we could try using Milk of Magnesia (0.5tsp every 8 hours). The latter could help with both since as a liquid it would coat and soothe the throat. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once he is more settled with those, we'd want to consider putting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). These should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Whichever you choose, with the fiber risk, we can add some canned pumpkin, all bran, or even a dose of cat hairball treatment to this to help push that through.Overall, Dozer's signs do raise a few concerns. So, we need to tread with care. If this is a bit of upset due to the coconut oil, the above should settle that for him. But we need to keep an eye on him because any belly discomfort, lingering signs, or actual vomiting; and we'd want his local vet to check and just make sure we don't have a fiber causing gut blockage.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)