Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My daughter brings home her new pedigree Staffie pup

Customer Question

My daughter brings home her new pedigree Staffie pup tomorrow. It has had its first vaccination and is due its second next week. She has been looking after cats recently and needs to know if the Staffy is safe from catching anything. She is putting its kennel on the patio. She wants to clean the patio with bleach. Is this safe for her to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jan,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Jan,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. As far as cats go this is no problem, there are no common diseases which spread from cats to dogs { Or indeed vice versa } so it is perfectly safe for your daughters's new pup to be with cats or to be where cats have recently been. The organisms which cause problems in dogs and cats are usually very host specific meaning they have evolved to affect one species only.

2. Where a pup has a two shot vaccination regime it is important to keep it away from where sick dogs have been until one week after the second shot. Diseases can only spread from a sick dog to a healthy one so it would be fine for your pup to be with healthy dogs whose vaccinations were up to date. But understandably many owners of new pups keep them away from all other dogs until the vaccination course is complete.

3. It is not a bad idea to clean the area where the new pup will be with bleach just as a precaution. I personally would leave the bleach to soak in for half an hour and the hose the area down thoroughly with water. This should take out any stray viruses or bacteria in the area and the not pose a risk to the pup in terms of inhaling bleach fumes. However using bleach would be optional unless there was some recent history of a sick dog in the area where the new pup will be or other contamination you are worried about.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Daughter's new pup dog is getting on after our recent dialogue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott