How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16316
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 40-lb dog ate 60 chocolate chip cookies during the night.

Customer Question

My 40-lb dog ate 60 chocolate chip cookies during the night. I don't know what time, but the first time she came to me with a whimper was just over 2 hours ago. The cookies she consumed contained 8-9 oz. of chocolate chips, 1 1/2 sticks of butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar and just over two cups of ground cricket flour.
Do I need to induce vomiting, or is it too late for that?
What can I do to make her feel better and to keep her from getting sicker?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Do you think it could have happened in the past 2 hours? Less then 8 hours? Or longer?

Was it semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips?

How is she just now? Is her going out more frequent then usual for her?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She ate them between 4 and 8 hours ago.
They were semi- sweet chocolate. She doesn't usually come to me during the night, and yes, when I opened the door for her she went out and in more than her usual once. She's now lying in her bed looking and acting normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she looks normal at the moment. As I am sure you can appreciate, it is the chocolate in the cookies that is our biggest concern here. Especially as the dose she has had is enough to cause severe signs. In regards ***** ***** we can see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss) though usually in the first 2-4 hours post ingestion. As well, this is a dose that could cause breathing/heart rate changes, tremors and seizures (though that can take up to 36 hours to appear).

Now in this case, if we are ~4-8 hours post ingestion then we are past a point where vomiting would be of benefit. That said, we could still find the use of activated charcoal of benefit at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we will want to consider supportive care for your lass. Since GI upset is a common sign in most of these situations, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, to allay nausea we can also treat with an antacid. Common OTC options we can use here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this was a severe level dose of chocolate for her size. So, we do need to tread with care. Since we are past a point where we can induce vomiting to get these out of her stomach, we'd want to instead use activated charcoal and symptomatic care. So, the above would be our best options at this stage. Of course, if she does develop any of those more worrying signs or has severe nausea in the hours to come, then we'd want to consider getting her local vet involved for IV fluids, injectable anti-nausea medication, and further treatment as needed for those more severe signs to help flush this out of her system and get her through this without harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Serafina. How is everything going?
nekovet