Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 1 year old mix breed puppy has woken up vomiting days.

Customer Question

My 1 year old mix breed puppy has woken up vomiting for two days. She doesn't eat in the morning but does eat later on in the day. Tho not as veraciously as he usually does. She is an adventurous pup and chews up everything she sees. On walks she hunts cat droppings and the like.
Should I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is she only vomiting in the morning?

Does she choose not to eat in the morning or is breakfast not offered?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
far only vomiting in the morning.
She is offered food and treats which she will not eat. That is highly unusual for her. She loves to eat, normally.
Yes. She is drinking.
Her gums are pink. Maybe a little more tacky than usual.
Her belly is making gurgling sounds. I can hear it clearly.
She moved her bowels yesterday and today. Her second bowel movement this morning (unusual) was much looser than normal. But, no diarrhea.
She is pacing the floor continually wanting to go out.
Side note: I removed an embedded tick from her face on Saturday. She is prone for them. She romps in the woods as often.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oh... yes. She may have ingested something. She chews on everything. Usually she spits out what isn't food, tho. She pretty good about that.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

And is her refusing to eat through the day?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She did eat yesterday afternoon and evening without an issue. And I didn't notice any abnormal behavior, stress or tummy gurgling in the afternoon or evening.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I figured it was a one time thing, yesterday morning. But, it's not.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Her vomit is greenish yellow. Which I find unusual. It doesn't have the appearance of food that I've given her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I agree that this doesn't sound like a one-off nausea or related to early morning bile reflux that we can see in some dogs. Her gurgly GI, pacing, and lack of appetite for even her treats do suggest a more significant persistent nausea. Therefore, we'd have to be wary of this being related to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or general dietary indiscretions. And just to note, green/yellow vomit is bile and commonly seen when they aren't eating properly.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture (which we need to keep an eye on that tackiness since that is an early stage sign of dehydration creeping in), you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, this does sound to be a more persistent nausea and we'd be concerned of a brewing infection or dietary indiscretion. Therefore, since she is young we would want to tread with care. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 8-12 hours (since she is young); then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds like a good plan. I will start with calming her tummy down.
If symptoms persist. I will contact her vet and take he in. Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a perfect plan of action.

All the best for you both,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)