Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog is35 days pregnant she will only eat chicken and is

Customer Question

My dog is35 days pregnant she will only eat chicken and is losing a clear discharge is this normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

The answer is it might be normal. Some dogs do have fluctuating appetite during pregnancy. The discharge is fine if clear but if it changes to green/yellow/bloody then this is not normal this early.

If her appetite doesn't rebound within a day or so and/or she is depressed/lethargic, then she must be seen by her regular veterinarian today for an exam and some lab testing. Some dogs develop electrolyte or calcium problems during pregnancy that must be addressed.

In the meantime, tempt her to eat. You may add in a carbohydrate to the chicken such as white rice or pasta.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Had her a vet on Friday they told me to get her some vitimins but I don't know which ones?

Generally we do not recommend any calcium supplementation. You would simply get a general health multi vitamin for her such as Pet Tabs which you can find at most pet stores or at your veterinarian. However, I am concerned there is something more serious going on. As I mentioned before if you feel she is declining and you cannot get her to eat at all or the discharge changes, then she needs a recheck. However, if she is eating some and stable, then you can safely monitor at home.

Please keep me posted.