Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog at one 5 mg melatonin and it does have xylitol in it

Customer Question

my dog at one 5 mg melatonin and it does have xylitol in it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is a 24 pound neutered male. i gave 6 mls of peroxide but he didn't vomit.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he have this?

How much xylitol was in it?

How is he just now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
about one hour
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know the zylitol content and he seems fine now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

Now it would be ideal if we knew how much xylitol was in the tablet (since toxicity is dose dependant) but I am glad to hear that he is ok so far. This is because we usually see signs quite quickly (it can drop the blood sugar in as quick as 30 minutes) though liver damage usually takes longer to appear.

Still since we don't know how much and it has been only an hour, I would advise trying to induce vomiting again. The dose of peroxide you gave is too low. He needs 24ml and you can dose that up to 3x. So, I would repeat that right now to see if we can get as much of this out of his stomach as possible.

Otherwise, we'd need to think about whether we want him to the vets for apomorphine to again induce vomiting +/- IV fluids to flush this out and limit harm. As well, since he is older, we may want to check bloods to see how his liver is doing since we cannot be sure how much xylitol he has had.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
gave 24 mls of peroxide.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No vomit yet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, make sure you are getting him moving that stomach around to get it mixing. If you have no vomiting in 10 minutes, then repeat. If he still is stubborn then we may need to think about having the local vet give injectable apomorphine to get this out.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
called poison control they said no problem with xylitol or melatonin but the problem now is the peroxide.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear that they were able to discern the amount of xylitol in the product and that it wasn't at a toxic dose (Melatonin wasn't a worry since we do use that in dogs). In regards ***** ***** peroxide, it only tends to cause GI upset (since obviously we use it for its nausea inducing capabilities) but that is self-limiting and not a major concern.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet