Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just ate 3 40 mg magnesium dihydrate (Nexole). She is

Customer Question

My dog just ate 3 40 mg magnesium dihydrate (Nexole). She is a 5 and half month old Rhodesian Ridgeback weighing 24.5 kgs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she eat these?

Is it Nexole with esomeprazole?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she ate about 15 mins ago and yes is is Nexole with esomeprazole
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need to know if she needs to go to emergency hospital
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the good news is that this is a drug that we do use in dogs on occasion, so this isn't an outright poisoning. That said, this would be a nearly 5x overdose for her. Therefore, we could see GI upset (vomiting, appetite loss, diarrhea) from this.

With that in mind and since she just had this, we have a few options. We can monitor for those signs and address them if they are seen. Or we can err on the side of caution by inducing vomiting and/or using activated charcoal.

Now to induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, this is an overdose but a drug that only causes mild signs. Therefore, you can use the above to block absorption or have your ER vet do so. Otherwise, you can choose to just monitor her and treat for any upset stomach signs if we see them.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you for the advice I found the number for the emergency and they said the same and to just watch her but that she should be alright
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad we are all in agreement and again of all the tablets she could steal she has thankfully picked ones that aren't a major worry.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Paula,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all is well thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also I keep asking to review our dialogue and I have done it already. You were extremely helpful
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear all is well. In regards ***** ***** emails about our conversation, they are being sent because you have not rated my assistance (its the only way the website gives me credit for aiding you). So, if you could do so, I would be very grateful.

Take care,

Dr. B.