Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I noticed my seven year old poodle has recently had s penis

Customer Question

I noticed my seven year old poodle has recently had his penis extruding, could he have a urinary problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

Poor thing. Roz are you able to send me a photo of your dogs problem area? I can better help you if I can see.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You’ve described paraphimosis which is most commonly seen in young intact dogs but also occurs in castrated dogs. The etiologies (causes) include developmental preputial anomalies, e.g., a small preputial opening or hypoplastic prepuce; infections such as transmissable venereal tumor (rare) and balanoposthitis (infection of the prepuce); priapism (prolonged penile erection with or without sexual arousal); and a hair ring or scar tissue that has entrapped the penis. Paraphimosis is most commonly associated with a hair ring in my practices or a relatively stenotic preputial orifice. Ineffective preputial musculature that can’t effectively retract the penis into the prepuce is less common and usually associated with neurologic disease such as myelopathy (spinal cord disorder).

A bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI) may exist concomitant with balanoposthitis but a UTI alone won't cause paraphimosis.

Conservative care involves the use of cold compresses and sugar or honey in an attempt to reduce swelling of the penis if swelling is present. Removal of the hair around the preputial orifice and applying a lubricant such as K-Y jelly and manually replacing the penis into the prepuce is then attempted. Failure to replace the penis should be considered an emergency and attended to by his vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.