Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

When I got home this evening my 9 week old puppy sounded

Customer Question

When I got home this evening my 9 week old puppy sounded like he had become horse from crying (kind of like a goose honking). He has eaten dinner with no problem played around with no problem but now he keeps waking up sounding congested/wheezing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the sound is intermittent. He is drinking water and I am massaging his throat both seem to help. I am just not sure whether this can wait for a trip to the vet in the morning. He is also trying to throw up like something is caught in his throat.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 12 months ago.

Hello Tere,

My name is***** and I will help you.

Look around carefully and see if he might have chewed anything and swallowed it. Like a stuffed toy. Or are you missing any socks?

What breed is he? Small? Large?

That was a substantial overdose. Most common signs are vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite. Kidney toxicity is not very common in cats with normal kidney blood flow. However with such an overdose kidney function has to be monitored . Giving the fluids is the best treatment right now.

Please ignore the mixed messages. I'm still waiting for your response re your puppy.

Hello Leallison,

I'm trying to untangle these two messages.

Did you get my information about the meloxicam?

Although your kitty got such an overdose the fact that he is so young and healthy increases his his chance of not having permanent kidney damage.

I'm very sorry that a vet gave you such mistaken advice.

Could you send me a message that we are connected?

Hello Tere,

I'm so sorry for the mix up. I just couldn't get back to you.

Are you still there/

I had asked if there was a possibility of him chewing up and swallowing anything. I also asked what breed he was and what size he was.

If he continues to gag he should be checked by your vet tomorrow. If he is choking, that is an emergency and you should take him to an emergency clinic.

Hopefully he will be fine. But do make sure that you puppy proof your home.

If I can help you in any other way please email me . I'll be here for another hour.