Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Can I give my dog a gabapentin along w Previcox? She takes

Customer Question

Can I give my dog a gabapentin along w Previcox? She takes previcox everyday but is in pain right now and won't walk at all
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Baylee is in significant pain that Previcox is not controlling, and I understand that you are trying to keep her as comfortable as possible.

It is possible, and we often do, combine nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories like Previcox with other pain medications such as gabapentin and/or Tramadol. By doing so sometimes we are able to use lower doses of all of the medications and keep them as, if not more so, comfortable.

You do NOT however want to use the liquid human formulations, as those contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener that is toxic for dogs and can cause very low blood sugar and liver failure leading seizures and death.

A usual dose range for Gabapentin in dogs would be 5mgs to 14mgs per pound of body weight, every 8 to 12 hours. Since she is already on Previcox I would use the lower end of the dosing scale. The most likely side effect is sedation, but other possible effects are incoordination and vomiting.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****