Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Apologize to body you and I also must say that I am

Customer Question

Apologize to body you and I also must say that I am fortunate don't have the funds to go to the vet but I'm afraid that my dog may have ingested or puppy may have ingested a small amount of methamphetamine please advise me what I can do here at home?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I understand your financial constraints. If Spot ingested more than 0.2 mg/lb of an amphetamine salt you would have seen agitation. At 1-1.5 mg/lb seizures and coma could result. Please give me an update on Spot.

You're necessarily constrained by how much you could do at home. A vet would admininster a benzodiazepine such as diazepam at a dose of up to 0.25 mg/lb if agitation, tremors, or seizures arose and this type of drug would be given intravenously as it's dangerous to administer anything orally to a dog with those symptoms. IV fluids would be administered in an attempt to flush the amphetamine out of Spot's system and ancillary care might be necessary to slow her heart and decrease her blood pressure. As you can see, unless you induced emesis with 3% hydrogen peroxide soon after Spot ingested the drug, there's nothing of value you could have done at home.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Spot. How is everything going?