Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 15 year old dog and s arthritis. I 't feel like the meds

Customer Question

My 15 year old dog and his arthritis. I don't feel like the meds he is on are helping.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is on one Tramadol 50 mg/day and .5ml each day of Gabapentin
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello Ellie and thanks for requesting me,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Can you give me details of any other prescribed drugs previously given to your dog for this condition in the past?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The last med he was placed on was vetprofen, but I can't remember the dosage. It wasn't very much and he responded to it well. At some point he started whining at night when getting into bed because his hind legs hurt. So I took him back in hopes that we would just up the dosage of vetprofen. Instead, we got the Gabapentin and Tramadol. He's been on this for two months and he's just starting to whine again at night. I can't give him any of those joint treats or supplements because he gets diarrhea too. I feel like I'm at a loss and I just want him to be comfortable. The pain is mostly at night.

Hello again Ellie

Sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Tramadol and Gagapentin are effective general pain killers in the dog { Especialy tramadol } but part of arthritis is inflammatory changes in the affected joint so it follows that sometimes a pure anti-inflammatory { NSAID } drug such as Vetprofen { Carprofen } can help.

2. Vetprofen is not the only available NSAID available for dogs also consider drugs like Metacam or Rimadyl, it may be worth consulting with your vet to try a week or so on the top dose of one of these drugs. And also they can be safely given with Tramadol if necessary.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Ellie,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his arthritis ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott