Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My yorkie has been having diareah few days now. wondering if

Customer Question

my yorkie has been having diareah for a few days now. wondering if i can give her pepto bismol or somethingelse. She weights 4 pounds
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she is eating and drinking just fine. Put her on chicken and rice for a few days and then tried mixing rice with her food.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: lots of energy justy diareah
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

Bismuth subsalicylate (PeptoBismol) can be given for acute diarrheas or as a GI "coating agent" at a dose of 0.1-1 mL/lb 3-4 times daily. A 4 lb dog might receive doses as small as 1/2 mL (1/10 of a measuring teaspoon) all the way up to 5 mL (one measuring teaspoon). It's always prudent to start with the smallest dose in the range and see if it suffices. It's best not to treat with this product for more than a few days because some dogs don't tolerate the salicylate well which can irritate an already irritated GI tract.

Loperamide (Imodium) is reasonable at 0.1 mg/lb or 1/4 of a 2 mg (0.5 mg) over the counter tablet every 8-12 hours. The oral liquid (0.2 mg/mL) would be easier to dose to a 4 lb dog. 2 mL (0.4 mg) every 8-12 hours would do the trick.

Her bland diet is appropriate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.