Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dogs poop is incasted I slimy mucus,she is a cocker and

Customer Question

My dogs poop is incasted I slimy mucus,she is a cocker and she never misses a scrap of food, can I put her on a bland diet, and can I use ground chicken and brown rice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible.

Hello Judi. Yes you can most definitely put her on a bland diet to see how things progress over the next 24-48 hrs. Bland chicken (no seasonings with brown rice or even cottage cheese is ok to do).

Does diva have any other symptoms besides the mucousy stool? Does she go to see the vet regularly for fecal exams?

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. Holloway for you. Please let me know if you still need help. Chicken breast and white rice is a standard bland diet appropriate for transient and mild gastrointestinal distress. The mucus you're seeing indicates excessive mucus being produced by glands in the colon and so indicates a colitis but not the etiolgy of the colitis which might have arisen from a dietary indiscretion - eating something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or perhaps a non-food item; or more serious disorders such as pancreatitis and hepatitis which can affect the gastrointestinal tract as well. In general, 72 hours of a bland diet and "watchful waiting" should normalize a simple colitis. If you didn't see Diva respond in a positive manner, her vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on her including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and perhaps X-rays or ultrasound of Diva's abdomen.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.