Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Y mastif is having pups but im concern ed that something is

Customer Question

y mastif is having pups but im concern ed that something is wrong she is at full term. she secreted clear liquad at about 1600 yesterday that fluid turned to greenish brown this has been on and off ror last 16 hrs she is no vomiting still no contractions is this bad
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 10 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

When you say she is full term, is this day 64? 65? How many pups does she have in her, or have you not had prenatal x-rays? Is she pacing or restless?

Can you take her rectal temperature and tell me what it is?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
68
temp dropped last nite to like 99
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
im not home my wife is with her
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello

Okay. She should be having contractions by now since one of the amniotic sacs has broken. If she is not contracting at all, I would see a veterinarian for a vaginal exam and then a possible oxytocin injection to induce labor. This is abnormally long after seeing the greenish fluid, so I would take her to a vet and see if assistance is needed for labor.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.