Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 14 year old pointer can not stand on rear legs. Last about 10 minutes. Then was ok. 2 h

Customer Question

My 14 year old pointer can not stand on rear legs. Last about 10 minutes. Then was ok. 2 hours later same thing but lasted about 30 minutes. She has had this before. Last time was about 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Ginger. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If her hind legs can't support her, this could be a stroke/blood clot, a bulging painful disc in her spine, FCE (fibrocartilagenous embolism; similar to a stroke but is not caused by a blood clot), lack of circulation to her hind legs, low blood potassium, low blood sugar, or arthritis. If I could, I would examine her to try to determine if her inablility to stand on her hind legs is due to weakness, pain, impaired nerve function to the hind legs, or impaired circulation of blood to the hind legs. I would feel her pulses, check her reflexes, do an internal rectal exam to feel for pain in her lower spine. I might check her blood sugar and potassium if this seems more like weakness than pain or a problem with her nerve function. The treatment depends on the cause. If this is arthritis or a disc, the treatment is anti inflammatory and pain medication. If this is a circulatory problem, or blood clot, or low blood sugar these medications would not help. So the best place to start would be a thorough physical exam and go from there. Until you can get her checked out, you could try some aspirin for pain, but only if she is eating and not vomiting. Do not give dogs any over the counter pain medications except aspirin. The dose is 1 low dose or baby aspirin per 15 to 20 pounds, or 1 regular 325 mg aspirin per 60 to 80 pounds, with food, once to twice daily. Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you have.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
How is Ginger doing?