Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog threw up twice yesterday big piles of food and mucus.

Customer Question

My dog threw up twice yesterday big piles of food and mucus. I took was advised by a vet to pull up his food and give him nothing for 8 hours. I did so and now he is pacing and panting. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has he had any more vomiting? Any retching, gagging, lip licking, or drooling?

Is he drinking? Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any current mast cell tumors? Do they look inflamed or reactive?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't believe he got into anything as I walk him on a leash and he can't get into garbage etc.
he does have a history of at least one mast cell tumor.
What concerns me in addition to the throwing up huge piles yesterday is he has been constantly pacing and now this morning started panting...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They told me when he was throwing up
To pull up everything including his water until his stomach settled down and so I did but I hope that hasn't dehydrated him.
What complicates things is I just moved and don't even know where to begin as far as finding a vet...
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you,

I share you concern about those additional signs. They aren't specific for any one issue but are commonly signs of discomfort or agitation with underlying GI upset. This is why I asked about any odd ingestion or ongoing mast cell issue (since they can cause secondary stomach ulcers when they degranulate). Though that said, we can see these signs even with severe gastroenteritis. So, they are just signs that he is feeling unwell and potentially uncomfortable with this.

Now we often rest nauseous stomachs in cases like this. If they cannot keep water down, then we may withhold it for a short period or just offer sips/ice cubes to prevent further vomiting.

So, that is not an uncommon first step to take. That said, I usually like to allay nausea at the same time (especially if we have mast cell/stomach ulcer risks) using an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). So, those would be worth considering here too as we reintroduce water and small meals of a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg).

Otherwise, since Eli is so unsettled and we do have mast cell concerns, I do think a check would be prudent to just make sure we head off any issue and nip it in the bud. In regards ***** ***** a local vet, I would note that you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or use the ER database @ www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Overall, these new signs tell us that this is causing him discomfort and he is really feeling unwell with this. So, we can add the above to our care but otherwise a check would be ideal to just make sure this isn't anything related to his other issues and to get him treated with injectable anti-nausea medication and thus settled quicker.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm worried about the constant pacing too....he doesn't seem to want to settle down. He lies down for a few minutes and then paces.... is there anything else I should try? I do have pepto in the house. I unfortunately don't have any rice but I do have eggs and chicken that I could boil.... It is just worrying me to see him pacing around.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

I appreciate you are and again it fits with agitation/discomfort. This is why we need to think about an antacid (not Pepto since it has aspirin and can irritate the stomach) or having a check at this point. In regards ***** ***** light diet, those protein sources are just fine and you can add cooked pasta or boiled potato (no salt) in place of rice if you don't have any. But overall, he is telling us that his stomach is very upset and possibly sore; so we want to tread with care, try one of those better antacid options +/- have him seen by the local vet for quick acting injectable treatment.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Since I don't have either Zantac or Pepcid in the house (I do have 750mg tums) is there a thing else that pacts like Pepcid or Zantac?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

If you cannot get one of those from your local grocery store, then while Tums aren't as effective, you can use those (480-720mg every 8 hours). Otherwise, if you do have other antacids at home, you can list them for me to review for you. Or we may need to take this as a cue to having him seen for this by a local vet.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. I think I will just observe him and let his stomach settle out. Hopefully it will resolve soon without a visit as I don't get paid until Friday and I don't think most vets will even see him unless they are paid same day. Who knows though, maybe they will work out a payment arrangement with me. Thanks again for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds fine at this point, but do keep a close eye if he doesn't settle with home care.

Finally, just in case you do need him seen before then, I do want to note some possible options that could be of help. First, both VCA + Banfield vet practices offer a free 1st consult and that would be a means to have him checked if need be. You can find their vouchers @:

VCA (Voucher: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) or

Banfield (Voucher:http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon?)

As well, the Humane Society(http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) and ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills) both have good databases of charities that could help if you did have any issues with having him checked sooner.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)