Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My dog had a sanitary cut today during a routine check up

Customer Question

My dog had a sanitary cut today during a routine check up and they scraped her behind she is very uncomfortable and we can not sleep she is a 7 yr old Pekinese .
How can we help her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB.. Poor Jiali.. A too-close sanitary clip is practically the same thing as diaper rash in a baby. Do you have access to any Desitin cream? It will soothe the area and protect it from the environment. Another option would be plain petroleum jelly which would protect it but may not be as soothing as the Desitin cream. You can also apply a cool (not cold) compress to the area to decrease swelling and irritation. A cool water dishcloth compress for 10-15 minutes every few hours should help greatly. Most importantly, try to prevent her scooting or licking this area which can further traumatize the area and make her prone to skin infection. You may have to get her an e-collar to prevent this. If these remedies aren't helpful on their own and she is still very uncomfortable tomorrow, I would make her an appointment with her regular veterinarian who may need to prescribe oral anti-inflammatories. But hopefully it won't come to that. I hope this information is helpful to you. Let me if you have any other questions. Also, if you are happy with my advice, please take the time to rate my response;)

Hello just checking to see how Jiali is doing today? Let me know if you have other questions? If you are satisfied with my response, please take the time to give me a positive rating..thanks so much;)

Hello again.. I hope Jiali is doing much better. Please take the time to rate my response for my professional time and effort to help you and your pet?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jiali. How is everything going?
Ola Barrett