Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I believe my 18 lb Bichipoo ate a dryer sheet.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Was the sheet used?

2- How long has it been since she ate it?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the sheet was used. Probably ate it within the last half hr. I do have peroxide

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the concern with the ingestion of a used dryer sheet would be a possible obstruction. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give her 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the sheet in the vomit change her diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the sheet in the feces. Make sure you are checking her stool; if you don't see the sheet within 48 hours I would have her checked by family vet for xrays with barium.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Hi Maureen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Puddin. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter