Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 14 year old 5lb poodle has been prescribed

Customer Question

Good evening! my 14 year old 5lb poodle has been prescribed vetmedin(1.25MG cut in half, one-half twice a day), however, he will not chew it or take it no matter how meticulous I try to disguise it. Does it come in liquid form and, if not, may I dissolve in water and use a syringe to ensure he gets the medication as needed? Thank you, Dr. ***** *****!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Heart murmur
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. " Does it come in liquid form ? " : It normally just comes in the form of pills, but your vet may be able to have it made up for you in liquid form via a compounding pharmacy. It is worth talking this over with your vet.

2. " if not, may I dissolve in water and use a syringe to ensure he gets the medication as needed? " : Sure this is possible if you have to, and the drug seems to work just as well this way, I have sometimes had to suggest this to the clients at my clinic in the past. However I do not know if it tastes very nice to the dogs if given this way they will lick their mouths afterwards for a bit as if it tastes bad. When giving drugs this way be sure an administer it immediately after having made up the solution.

3. Alternatively one simple solution I would suggest is a " Pill Popper " these make it really easy to give meds to dogs, you can get them from your vet or better pet stores, or online, here is an example : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.