How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRalston Your Own Question
DrRalston
DrRalston, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 2205
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
DrRalston is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 5 year old Pomeranian has suddenly become extremely

Customer Question

My 5 year old Pomeranian has suddenly become extremely hyperactive, running from room to room doing crazy things.,She has acted itchy rash on her tummy (I just out cortisone ointment on it) she's panting but I think it's because shrscrunningvabout do much. Tried her on new very high quality food this morn and which she vomitted up, she's was a little lethargic all day. We took her for a walk around our new property and she was in and out of grass and bush's and what looked like some kind of Ivy (we r in Australia & it's now 2.30 am, hyper activity has been going on since 10pm) worried
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrRalston replied 10 months ago.

Good morning.

Has Juliette ever responded like this in the past? I mean has she ever had a sudden rash with irritation?

I would definitely be concerned that this might be a contact allergen. In which case you might use a topical ointment to help relieve the inflammation and itch. But, if this is a true allergen you will want to do more.

If a contact allergen, such as grass is the cause, you would want to bathe the patient in cool water, and really clean off the skin and fur. This will remove any allergens still remaining and clinging to the fur and skin. Cool water because warm water can increase inflammation and stimulate itch making matters worse.

Antihistamines are necessary if a contact allergen is assumed. Benedryl (diphenhydramine) would usually be my first choice in a contact allergen reaction. The usual dose is about 1 mg per pound of pet every 8-12 hours. It can be used rather safely, and can usually provide relief in relatively short time while the bathes and topical cream are helping.

One thing to be concerned about is the topical ointment. Try not to use it very often. Cortisone can be used in the short term, but the pet should be kept from ingesting it. Large amounts ingested could lead to further problems including canine iatrogenic Cushing's disease. So, please use caution.

Please feel free to continue this conversation with whatever questions you might have.

Thanks,

DrRalston

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Juliette has never responded this way b4. About an hour after applying cortisone she has settled but is hiding under the bed and will not come out. Very odd behaviour for a dog who usually I sleeps at the end of our bed each night. I'll take her to our vet first thing in the morning. It's past 4am here so I won't bath her, I'll try to coax her out from under the bed. I think it was a new type of plant that caused the problem, how do I keep her away from it?, it's all over our 4 and half acre property' is she likely to always have this reaction again,?
Expert:  DrRalston replied 10 months ago.

I am glad to Juliette might be calming down somewhat. That's great.

I can imagine her hiding because she is confused and feels unusual and maybe slight scared because of it. Benedryl might still help there, because it might help her relax so that she may sleep.

Unfortunately, if the reaction has happened once, it will likely happen again. And it might be worse the next time. The first time sort of primes the body and immune system with exposure. The next time, the body will be ready to respond, quicker and with a stronger response. Just like infections, the immune system mounts a response to any foreign invader or antigen. And that is how it will see that plant from now on, if that was the cause.

Avoiding it entirely would be best, ***** ***** doesn't sound like an option here at all. And, the question remains what caused it in the first place.

IF it is a true contact allergen, it could just be seasonal if the plant growth is seasonal. During the season you might need to dose with antihistamines daily to keep the reaction from happening. In addition wearing a shirt or sweater or something like that, a cover over the area while outside that can be removed and washed easily when returning inside could really help!

If it is severe and long term another option would be to try to determine what the antigen was in the first place. This would require skin testing or blood testing with a dermatologist. Your Vet might be able to run those blood tests to a lab somewhere too. Then, desensitization shots are designed and used overtime so that your pet's body becomes used to the antigen and no longer mounts a response. I could tell you more about that if you were curious. But most of that is done with a specialist.

Again, feel free to continue the conversation.

Expert:  DrRalston replied 10 months ago.

How is Juliette feeling today?

Hopefully better. And I hope my answers were helpful. Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Expert:  DrRalston replied 10 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Juliette. How is everything going?
DrRalston