Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner, practitioner, Owner at Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Inc, Vetmed Hawaii
90005502

Howdo I detect in in my dog,,,,Would you believe I have

Customer Question

Howdo I detect in in my dog,,,,Would you believe I have it....dee nothing on dog,,,My dr says sTIP SLEEPING WITH YOUR DOG,,,,,So now IAM BING TRATED FOR SCABIES ,,,NOT MY DOG,,,to see vet tomorrow..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 10 months ago.

Hello Ann,

My name is***** and I will help you. Canine scabies is very contagious between dogs and occasionally is passed to humans.

It is diagnosed by doing a skin scraping.

Have you noticed your Benji scratching? It is very itchy. I image you are very uncomfortable with it. Did your Dr do a skin scraping?

There is also an ELISA test available that can be used if the mites are difficult to find on a skin scraping.

And if all fails, then response to treatment may be diagnostic.

The life cycle is between 17 and 21 days. Usually there are crusts and scabs where the dog is scratching.

There are asymptomatic cases where mites are not found and the dog doesn't scratch. Since you have scabies and if it is canine scabies, then your dog should absolutely be treated.

Anne I'm sorry that you have scabies and I hope that both you and Benji do well with treatment.

Please feel free to ask questions - even after the rating - if you have any.