Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My French Bulldog came to the back door tonight chewing on a

Customer Question

My French Bulldog came to the back door tonight chewing on a thornless pear cactus pad and he now appears to be restless and slightly disorientated. I fed him a small amout of Vanilla ice cream and that appeared to help some. What additional steps can I take to get him back to normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Other than the irritant sap in the pencil cactus, I'm not aware of any cactuses which are toxic to dogs. Of course, it's unlikely that a dog would ingest such a thorny plant. Can you clarify what you're seeing which you've described as "disoriented"? That usually implies a change in mentation (mental status).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did I just seriously pay for that answer??? Here is what I found online:" Nopal cacti is a family of cactus which are mostly harmless, however the Prickly Pear version is very toxic to dogs, even in small amounts. There's a list of toxic plants, veggies and fruits here"
My dog ate some and is completely wacked out like he's tripping. Restless, disoriented, confused, drooling, won't stop pacing around the house. It's like he's got some seriouly low blood sugar, which from what I'm reading is a side effect of eating a prickly pear cactus.What can I do to get his blood sugar back up?

You mustn't give anything orally to a dog so disoriented. The danger of aspiration of pneumonia in such a patient is too great. A veterinary ER would give a glucose solution IV if Bentley were truly hypoglycemic. I regret that I'm unfamiliar with this plant and the ASPCA toxic plant list doesn't include it and so I'll opt out which will give other vets the opportunity to enter the conversation.

Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I wasn't able to get an answer using this service and unfortunately my French Bulldog died that night. please refund the charges on my account if any. I won't wait the vet that was dealing with us. Thank you
I am so sorry to hear this:-( I will close this and refund it for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** around here.