Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have an almost 12 year old ( in March) male, not nuetured

Customer Question

Hi, I have an almost 12 year old ( in March) male, not nuetured Golden Retreiver, He has been in perfect health all his life. His parents were big. Dad about 110 lb. and Mom about 85 lb. Neither were fat or over weight by there over all appearance. They were tall and big boned. Toby ( my dog) topped out at 107 and wore it well. He is now down to 74 and his ribs are showing. My vet says he is passing protein out through his kidneys, he is on Aspirin 20mg, one a day, and Enalapril 10 mg. 1 1/2 twice daily. He appears to be as happy and healthy as ever. He is active, loves his walks, eats normal, drinks normal. There is nothing differant about him from now to several years ago. Same everything, except for the weight loss. The weight drops a few pounds every month. This has been going on for about a year. He has been on the meds for about 7 months.
I have him on a low protein food with cranberries ??? As I was told too much protein will agravate his condition.
Any other suggestions ? I am willing to do what ever will sustain his well being ! I look forward to hearing back. Mike Hunsaker / Toby / (###) ###-####
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 10 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I'm sorry your pooch is losing so much weight, that is so hard to see and frustrating when we can't stop it. Unfortunately without a kidney transplant we can only hope to slow the weight loss, not usually stop it. However, according to my resources there are things we can do. As long as his kidneys are otherwise healthy (only the protein loss) then the enalipril can be increased significantly (by almost double) and a second drug called Losartan can be added to help the enalapril work better without the side effects of raising it beyond the safe dose.

The only other thing you can do is find someone to perform a biopsy of the kidney, this will help us understand what EXACTLY is going on with the kidney and if we can or should add other treatments, like immune suppressants, or if it's cancer... chemotherapy. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did please leave a rating. Dr. Dan