Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Kris ***** *****, my french dog has eaten many fruit snacks

Customer Question

Customer: Kris ***** *****, my french bull dog has eaten many fruit snacks and the cardboard box plus no wrappers were found. Help please.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I came home found a piece of the fruit snack box no wrappers were found, so she has eaten about ten packages with wrappers included. She has thrown up clear liquid, but seems fine. I am worried about the wrappers hurting her??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 12 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Types of fruits?

2- How long since he ate it?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He ate gummy fruit snacks A LOT OF them. I am guessing a few hours ago. I just found the mess that was made. Weighs 50 pounds.I can get hydrogen peroxide
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am really worried about the wrappers that was ingested.

Give me a few minutes please to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the gummy fruit are not going to be toxic. My main concern would be a possible obstruction with the wrappers or box as you have suspected. I would try to induce vomiting with peroxide 3%. Need to move quickly before the wrappers and box move out of the stomach into the intestines. To induce vomiting this is what you can do:

1- Give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the wrappers or box in the vomit change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the wrappers and box in the feces. Make sure you are checking the stool; if within 48 hours you don't seen any of the wrapper or box I would have him checked by family vet for xrays with barium.

4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter