Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 17 week old puppy has slimy diarrhea. Sometimes she has a

Customer Question

Customer: My 17 week old puppy has slimy diarrhea. Sometimes she has a hard time controlling it? She was on a raw food diet when she came to us and her bowel movements were normal. We thought it may have been the food and now she is on a bland diet. That helps a little but anytime food is reintroduced she goes back to diarrhea. Wondering what could help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is on a bland diet of chicken and rice. Has normal bowel movements when that is her meal. Seems to have no other symptoms. Still playful.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your puppy! How long has the diarrhea been going on for now? Has she been to a vet since this started and had any fecal testing done? Diarrhea in puppies is common and most often due to GI parasites such as worms or protozoal organisms like coccidia or giardia, and in her case since she was on a raw diet I would also be concerned about bacteria. The safest thing to do would be to bring her and a stool sample in to her vet to have it tested. In the meantime, I would also suggest starting her on a probiotic, which can help restore the normal healthy bacteria that live in the GI tract.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2232

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Most of the pet stores now carry probiotics, and most vet clinics will also carry a probiotic that you can use for your pup, such as FortiFlora which is made by purina.