Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I'm ***** ***** and my dog ate bunch of chocolates in tin

Customer Question

Customer: Hello, I'm ***** ***** and my dog ate bunch of chocolates in tin foils.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog is big, 85 pounds and it was like 20 pieces (sort of like hershe's kisses)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

There's not nearly the amount of theobromine in those 20 pieces of chocolate to intoxicate an 85 lb dog. Theobromine is a xanthine derivative similar to caffeine which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, agitation, and tremors if ingested in sufficient quantity. An 85 lb dog shouldn't have a problem passing the foil through its gastrointestinal tract. You can faciliate that happening by adding the bulk laxative psyllium seed (Metamucil) to your dog's next few meals at a dose of a full tablespoon of seed per meal.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.