Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** ***** and I am wondering if my female dog

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I am wondering if my female dog is going through depression after weening the puppies. She weened them about 4 weeks old. She is completely dried up but she doesn't want to go outside much anymore and just doesn't seem as active.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She seems to be eating fine. But she just doesn't seem to have the energy. One male thinks she is in heat again. I did notice she has a small amount of blood on the vulva. So, am thinking she is just having a hormone change and is maybe depressed from the quick change in hormones. I also have two other females that had puppies at the same time. So it made it easy on her to ween the puppies quickly
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

We don't recognize post-partum depression in dogs, Monika. You're likely to be correct that hormonal and prostaglandin changes at this time are more likely to be the cause of her behavior. Progesterone level drop below 2 mg/mL. I'm concerned, however, that you're seeing a bloody discharge at this time. While return to estrus so quickly isn't unheard of in dogs, it's far more common in cats. It would be prudent to have her vet perform a simple vaginal cytology - microscopic exam of your dog's vaginal cells - to see if proestrus has, indeed, arisen or, instead, the blood represents early post-partum metritis - uterine infection. Infection would seem unlikely, however, because she continues to be normally appetent.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.