Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

This is ***** *****.. my 3 yr old chow chow has hot spots as

Customer Question

Customer: hi.. this is ***** *****.. my 3 yr old chow chow has hot spots as well as a weak hind leg.. applying ointment on the hot spots and she's taking deltacal daily for the hind leg...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: redish skin and bleeds with constant scratching... difficulty getting up as well as having a hard time going up the stairs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Hi, and welcome to JustAnswer. I'm sorry it has taken some time for a veterinarian to reply to you. I'm Dr. Barbara, and will be happy to help you with your Chow Chow this morning. I'm currently in Taipei, so in a similar time zone.

Hot spots can be the result of several different problems: Fleas, food allergies, inhaled allergens, hormonal imbalances, and primary skin diseases like mite infestations or fungal infections.

I'm unfamiliar with Deltacal, so will take a few minutes to look that up.

Hello again. I can only find Deltacal as a calcium supplement. For what condition in the leg are you using this for treatment? It is also possible that pain somewhere can lead to chronic licking and then hot spots>