Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog seems constipated. What can I do at home to alleviate

Customer Question

My dog seems constipated. What can I do at home to alleviate this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 12 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Is she straining to have a bowel movement? Is her appetite and energy level ok? Any vomiting?

Expert:  Jess K replied 12 months ago.

If she is otherwise doing well at home and the constipation is mild, you can try adding a several teaspoons of canned pumpkin to her diet (the kind you can get at the grocery store, but be sure it is plain canned pumpkin, not the ready made pie filling with spices added to it). Alternatively you can add psyllium (i.e. metamucil) to her food. How much is needed can depend on the dog, since it sounds like she is large, I would start with 1 or 2 tablespoons twice a day. Be sure she has plenty of access to fresh water and is drinking while she is taking this as well. If the constipation continues or she becomes lethargic, loses appetite, or vomits, then those would be reasons to bring her in to your vet for an exam.

Expert:  Jess K replied 12 months ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Princess. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay