Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

, My chihuahua Rico who's about 3lbs and 2yrs old few

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My chihuahua Rico who's about 3lbs and 2yrs old few days ago lost his ability to use is back legs, I first pick him up then cried with pain, then few hrs he didn't cry when I pick him up, couldn't move his back legs. Took him to the vet they gave him a steroid shot and pills to take home. that was 3days ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your problem with Rico. Do you have specific questions about him? Are you online to discuss him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would he be able to use his legs have you had patients like this.. Out of nowhere he lost his ability to use his hind legs..They gave him a steroid shot and bills to take home..
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Can he move his legs at all? even when laying down? If you pinch his toe, does he pull his foot away, or does he at least act as if he feels what you are doing by looking at his foot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No feeling he uses the bathroom he's tail goes up when pooping but I need to help a little, yes when I pitch some area he respond a little not much, I have 2 weeks of steroids pills for Rico to take.. I have him in a small box so won't move too much .. He looks at me like please pick me up, he just cried just now when I was going to clean him up, he didn't do that yesterday he didn't feel anything so he didn't cry.. Does that mean his feeling is coming back slowly with the steroids
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So does he move his hind legs at all?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Is he on any pills besides the steroids?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

It is possible for dogs in Rico's condition to regain use of their legs. Ideally if they are unable to walk, their best chance of recovery is with surgery,but if that isn't an option, some dogs will recover with medical treatment including strict confinement as well as medications such as steroids, pain medication, and muscle relaxers. If your dog is only on steroids and you feel he is acting painful now, I would let your vet know so they can prescribe additional pain medication for him. I am attaching an article here that gives in depth details on the condition that is most likely affecting your dog.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!