Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can my dog get tapeworms from eating snow. Last week she

Customer Question

Can my dog get tapeworms from eating snow. Last week she passed something about 18 long with appendages but my vet lost it and her stool came out negative for eggs. I have the wormer from vet. I'm thinking I should buy a muzzle for after I worm her because she eats snow CONTINUOUSLY!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** can't be picked up by eating snow I'm glad to say. They need a secondary host to complete the life cycle. A flea or rat or rabbit have to be eaten to get them. There shouldn't be any parasites passed that have legs on them. This may be something from the environment.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. That thing was creepy, I should of also added that she was in intensive care at Tufts for 5 days for breathing distress. She was in an oxygen chamber. They did numerous tests but found only bronchitis. I take it should still worm her because she's over weight and bloated?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
About month ago she was in t month ago she was in Tufts

What was she at Tufts for? Eating snow itself isn't bad. It is a way for many to get water for hydration. They also can like the texture and the coolness of it.