Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 10year greyhound who is in excellent health but she

Customer Question

I have a 10year greyhound who is in excellent health but she has a poo problem she eats well but shehasvery loose motions four the last 3weeks please help me thank you so much
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that your Dottie has loose stools for a few weeks now

I can give you some basic suggestions but if there is no change please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure there is nothing more serious going on with her digestive tract but diarrhea can also be an early indicator of other problems that may require attention to prevent progression to weight loss, vomiting, decreased appetite

- White rice and lean boiled meat such as the diced chicken you are currently feeding
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling her stomach at 1 mg/kg daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up her stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that she is treated more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope Dottie is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!