Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog "weinner" is throwing up blood what do I do?

Customer Question

my dog "weinner" is throwing up blood what do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am very sorry to hear about Lucy. Unfortunately, vomiting up blood would be considered an emergency situation in which veterinary care is needed. Sometimes at home treatment is appropriate in a dog who has just started vomiting, but if the vomit contains blood, it is a more serious concern and requires attention by a veterinarian, including blood work to check for bleeding abnormalities and prescription medication to treat whatever the underlying cause is suspected to be based on the testing. Causes of vomiting blood could include gastrointestinal ulcers, blood clotting disorders which can be the result of systemic disease or ingestion of rodent poisons, inflammation in the stomach due to IBD or infectious causes, bleeding masses in the stomach.

Is there an emergency vet in your area you can take her to?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we do not have an emergency vet near by what can i do to help her
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

For now then, you will want to fast her to try to stop her from vomiting. This means taking up all food and water so she cannot take in anything orally. If she goes outside to potty, it should be on a leash with you so she cannot eat some grass or something outside that will start her vomiting again. Continue this (no food or drink) for at least 8 hours. If she goes 8 hours without vomiting, you can try to slowly reintroduce small amounts of liquid, either water or pedialyte if it is available. We usually do a teaspoon per pound of body weight. If she keeps that down, you can repeat in two to three hours. If she is able to drink several times like this, and hasn't vomited for over 12 hours, then you can try a small amount of easily digestible food, such as plain white rice and boiled chicken breast. Very small amounts at a time. Here is an article that discusses this : http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=353

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Once your vet reopens, I would get her there ASAP for an exam. If she continues to vomit today despite the fasting, becomes weak, her gums begin to look pale, or she has trouble breathing, then these are emergency situations which would warrant a drive to whatever emergency vet is open. The problem with vomiting dogs is there isn't much we can do at home because oral medications are just going to be vomited back up!

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Just checking to see how your dog did today and if you had any questions?

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay