Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a wirehimer, in the last year when outdoors he chews

Customer Question

I have a wirehimer, in the last year when outdoors he chews on grass and animal poop, then throughout the night he throws up and hacks up the items he ingested, most of the throw up is bile. how do I solve this problem, is he lacking something in his diet, should I get a diet supplement i.e. dineovite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is this guy on for his normal food / diet? Is he active and of good weight? How often are these events of vomiting up the bile after being outside happening?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried different dog foods right now he is on purina one, twice a week, yesterday we were on a walk, today it appears that there is sometype of bark or leaves in his vomit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the ground is snow covered, but when it wasn't he had grass and weeds in his vomit
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. More than likely his situation isn't one that is a dietary insufficiency. As long as he has a major brand of dog food as his diet, then he should be well nourished there. Honestly, the dineovite supplement is something that I have to laugh every time I hear the infomercial. It is something that I wouldn't expect any "special" results from it. Will it hurt? Hopefully not, but I wouldn't spend the money on it. He sounds like a dog that is more of an explorer in his environment. He basically is going out and about in his environment and chewing / eating things that don't necessarily sit well with his intestinal tract. This is more of a behavioral issue than a medical one. If he has access to these things, he will chew and eat them. He needs to be limited as far as his access to them. Being out to monitor his activity outside is key here. I know this is not the ideal situation for most owners though. If he's out and about on his own, he will get into things.