Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has been acting very strangely- I took m to the vet

Customer Question

My dog has been acting very strangely- I took him to the vet yesterday and had him checked out - physically there's nothing wrong with him and today is Sunday so my vet is closed. For the past 3 nights he hasn't slept - meaning that he gets into a state of anxiety where he doesn't move and just shakes and pants and is stiff and stares into space or at me with this look of HelpMe!
This morning it seems to have worsened as he won't walk - I think he is able to walk but it's more that he seems to be perplexed and so he just stands where I've left him and stares at me!
I tried to let him out to take a pee this morning but he won't go - I put him outside but he just stands there and shakes.
I brought him back inside and he hasn't moved from the spot - he won't lie down but I got him to sit. He's not shaking now but he won't drink water. I gave him a kibble but I couldn't get him to come to me to get the kibble and for him THAT'S NOT NORMAL.
He's a 12 year old cocker spaniel and he's been super healthy and fit all his life. He is on meds now because he had an illness in the summer that almost killed him - his red blood cells dropped to 11 and he had 3 blood transfusions and was hospitalized for 10 days.
I've written a novel - please let me know what else you need from me. Thank you!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Toby. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Were any Xrays or blood tests done when you took him to be examined at your veterinarian? It sounds to me like he is painful: neck, back, or internally. You mention he is on meds; what his he taking?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, what meds is he taking?